Re: My thoughts on multiple topics over the past few days

Axel Berger

"joy8388608 via groups.io" wrote:
I hope I don't sound (fill in any one of several words)
Helpful? Experienced? Absolutely right?

I am the one who used to (at the time when there still were handbooks)
unpack new gadgets only after having read and annotated the handbook in
full. After that I unpacked and assembled them, typed in all the settings I
had noted in the handbook in pencil and normally they worked first time.

When asked for help I'm known to demand the handbook first. "I don't know
where it is." "Find it! I'll not even look before I hold it in hand." (Yes,
I would look later, but don't pass that on, please.)

^!Prompt ^$StrReplace(",([^,]+)ZZZ";"\&$1";"^%axel%ZZZ";R)$
Hey, that's great! I'll try to remember it. I'm with Lotta in "one should
strive for readability above all. That is more important than compactness
and even speed." but that idea of yours is not hard to understand -- at
least not after having someone else think of it.

In other words, curly braces pop up as they are found in the code.
Square brackets are put together and shown all at once when the code
starts even if they are scattered throughout the code and not
at the beginning.
Yes, but: Only curly brackets evaluate functions and variables inside the
prompt. I frequently want to make my last entry the default for the next
time the input is asked for. Can't do that with square brackets. (And of
course you can't use square brackets in loops anyway.) On the plus side
they make code more legible:

^!GoTo ^?[]

is much easier than

^!Set %vaiable%=^?{}
^!GoTo ^%variable%

at least when they're far apart in a long clip.

--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069