Difference between Clipbook and Clipbook Library?

joy8388608

I started work today on the Clip tutorial. The tutorial starts with a general introduction which includes the definition of some common terms such as "clips", "clipbar", "library", etc. We all have our own way of opening the Library view, adding clips, etc so reading the help (again) after several years was interesting. I remember being quite confused by some of the terms like the ones I just mentioned and was trying to explain them a little differently.

I'm stuck on the difference between Clipbook and Clipbook Library. To me they are the same thing. The only difference I can see is some "entries" run code whereas others just insert the plain text which is stored where clip code would be. Seems the two different types can be stored in the same library. Do I have this correct? Are there any other differences?

Help -> Search for help on... then scroll down to "Clipbook" and "Clipbook Library"

Thanks
Joy

Art Kocsis

On 12-11-2019 12:23, joy8388608 via Groups.Io wrote:
I started work today on the Clip tutorial. The tutorial starts with a general introduction which includes the definition of some common terms such as "clips", "clipbar", "library", etc. We all have our own way of opening the Library view, adding clips, etc so reading the help (again) after several years was interesting. I remember being quite confused by some of the terms like the ones I just mentioned and was trying to explain them a little differently.
Just rereading the first paragraph of the introduction on clips, it is obvious that the author is, shall we say, less than "rigorous" in the use of his terminology? Conflating "Clipbook tool" with "Clipbook language" is a good indication of confusion to come. One of the hallmarks of good teachers and good documentation is the consistent use of well defined terminology.

I'm stuck on the difference between Clipbook and Clipbook Library. To me they are the same thing. The only difference I can see is some "entries" run code whereas others just insert the plain text which is stored where clip code would be. Seems the two different types can be stored in the same library. Do I have this correct? Are there any other differences?
As I read it the "Clipbook" is the on screen, open panel of the side of the screen and a "Clipbook Library" is a file containing a collection of clips, i.e., a *.clb file.

Reading the introduction in the clip help file it is painfully obvious that it hasn't been touched since the very beginning of Notetab when clips were strictly boilerplate text strings.

BTW - as you noted some time ago, you like many of us, have quite a collection of notes, tips and gochas regarding Notetab and Notetab clips. I assume you will want to incorporate our collective knowledge and experience. How do you want to accomplish that. Do you want us to just send you files of notes? Do you want it pre-organized in some fashion? For example, do you have a tentative topic outline that we should follow?

Thanks for undertaking this.

Art

joy8388608

Art wrote
Reading the introduction in the clip help file it is painfully obvious that it hasn't been touched since the very beginning of Notetab when clips were strictly boilerplate text strings.
I didn't think of that but I believe you're correct. Maybe there were no clips at that time. That's fine. At least I know I'm not missing something in my understanding.

BTW - as you noted some time ago, you like many of us, have quite a collection of notes, tips and gochas regarding Notetab and Notetab clips. I assume you will want to incorporate our collective knowledge and experience. How do you want to accomplish that. Do you want us to just send you files of notes? Do you want it pre-organized in some fashion? For example, do you have a tentative topic outline that we should follow?
Now THAT is a much more difficult and time consuming project which would be very useful but is, as they say, outside the scope of this particular project.

The Intro to Clip Programming tutorial is focused on how to use the environment and learn the basics of looping through a document line by line or using FIND with some other vital knowledge thrown in. It's NOT how to program, an enhancement of the clip language or tips and hints.

I see at least two additional projects. One (Clip Help Enhancement Documentation (CHED)) is an enhancement to the clip help documentation with additional information on individual clip functions and commands like what happens when you jump to line 100 when there are only 50 lines in the document, what happens when you do a find and nothing is found (no hits), and better cross-referencing of the setdelimiter command. (Maybe these are bad examples and the info is already there, I'm just giving examples.)

Another project is a compilation of knowledge (NT Programming Examples, Tips and Hints) to reduce the reinvention of the wheel. For example, I have a list of the combination of functions needed to obtain just a filename,  fn with an extension, fn with extension and path, etc. It is surprising non obvious due to which commands include backslashes and such. I still need to refer to it when doing that kind of programming.

There are so many things I had to figure out like (I think) how to select all text from the current cursor position to the end of the document. Many of these things are easy once you know how but not before.

Then, perhaps there is a related third project such as a basic FAQ which may reference information in the above guides.

From the little I know, it seems the wiki pages would be a perfect tool for some of this due to the needed for tagging, linking and cross referencing multiple bits of info. We all have our notes organized in different ways. Sounds like a big job to me.

I feel the best way to start is by gathering as much info as possible in the same place and deciding what to do with it from there. If everyone wants to email me what they have in whatever format it is, I can start to analyze it, mash it together and see what ideas I get.

So, everyone feel free to email stuff directly to me and we will get an idea of how to proceed.

Joy