Topics

ClipWriter

James McBride

Hello,
Is the ClipWriter program all that useful? Is there a way that I can get hold of the newest version of it? I have the trial installed, but it is expired and doesnt work anymore.

I feel like I am INCREDIBLY slow in my understanding of script writing, but I am making some progress. I have a couple of things that I asked help for here over a year ago, and I am just coming to some understanding, so that is progress!

You folks are very helpful, thank you!

--Jim

Axel Berger

James McBride wrote:
Is the ClipWriter program all that useful?
I must admit I never heard of it. But I'd suggest weaning yourself off
stuff like that. I tend to use Notetab and e.g. spreadsheets for many
things where dedicated tools already exist. I find it easier to jot a few
lines down from scratch than getting into yet another user interface. And
then of course they all have their limtations, often in the most annoying
places.

and I am just coming to some understanding,
Way to go. Most of it, I believe, is just a mindset thing and once you get
into the habit of thinking task --> solution without bothering about being
spoon-fed ready-made solutions you're more than half way there.

Yes, a computer takes everythig you say absolutely literally without giving
it the slightest bit of thought and that can be quite annoying as in
Goethe's sourcerer's apprentice -- but trust me, you can and will get used
to it.

--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069

loro

Axel Berger wrote:
James McBride wrote:
Is the ClipWriter program all that useful?
I must admit I never heard of it. But I'd suggest weaning yourself off
I have and I tried it long ago. But is it still around? It was the child of list member RS (Ramon?). Is he still around? IIRC he disappeared from the lists long before I did. I bookmarked the site and the last domain I know of is for sale, http://dataomega.com . And from what I can find through WaybackMachine RS stopped to use the domain in 2016, but then ClipWriter was still around, version 4. And another program he wrote that was kind of outlines galore that I once lusted after.

Maybe someone else knows what has happened?

Lotta

Thomas Gruber Yahoo

Hi Lotta, all,
I found ClipWriter here:
https://download.cnet.com/ClipWriter/3000-2344_4-203871.html
Haven‘t tried it yet, I had never heard of it before but I‘m curious, as I like to learn about new programming tools. I use clips occasionally, but too rarely to get really familiar with it. Maybe a development environment will make it a bit easier for me (I know Axel objects...).
Kind regards
Thomas

Thomas (Computerhusky)

Am 25.07.2020 um 16:31 schrieb loro <tabbie@...>:

Axel Berger wrote:
James McBride wrote:
Is the ClipWriter program all that useful?
I must admit I never heard of it. But I'd suggest weaning yourself off
I have and I tried it long ago. But is it still around? It was the child of list member RS (Ramon?). Is he still around? IIRC he disappeared from the lists long before I did. I bookmarked the site and the last domain I know of is for sale, http://dataomega.com . And from what I can find through WaybackMachine RS stopped to use the domain in 2016, but then ClipWriter was still around, version 4. And another program he wrote that was kind of outlines galore that I once lusted after.

Maybe someone else knows what has happened?

Lotta

loro

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Gruber wrote:
Hi Lotta, all,
I found ClipWriter here:
https://download.cnet.com/ClipWriter/3000-2344_4-203871.html
Haven‘t tried it yet, I had never heard of it before but I‘m curious, as
I like to learn about new programming tools. I use clips occasionally, but
too rarely to get really familiar with it. Maybe a development environment
will make it a bit easier for me (I know Axel objects...).
Kind regards
Good find. I found it at another shareware site, but there nothing came down, the file was gone. Problem is it's a shareware program. I don't remember if it was time limited of feature limited. And if it can't be registered any longer...

I think people liked and used ClipWriter. I never bought it because I was a newbie very much in learning mode then. I've found that I understand better and learn quicker if I type myself, and that goes for everything, not only clips. And learning to find my way around yet another program can be too much for me in that situation. I'd probably be more interested in it today, if it turns out it's available and updated. But that's me. How we best learn new stuff is very individual, I think.

Here's a link to one of Wayback Machine's copies of RS's program page. BTW I found RS' name. It's Ramon Silvera.
<https://web.archive.org/web/20120709160355/http://www.dataomega.com/ClipWriter/index.htm>

Lotta
--
Computer says no.

James McBride

Thanks Thomas!
Yeah, I have that link as well. It is for a 14 day trial of the program. Problem is, the publisher of the program no longer exists, so there is no way to unlock the trial even if you wanted to ☹

I know that there is a clip library called 'ClipCode Syntax', but I have not yet figured out how to use it.

I do agree that it is probably 'best' to learn to program from scratch, without relying on a crutch like this program sort of is.

The biggest problem that I have had is finding good examples of clips that actually work. I was creating a clip to close a bunch of text files that fall within a certain range of dates. Well over a year ago, I got some help here with that issue, but I had trouble getting it to work.....my files were not closing. I found a similar clip in a library called DirStuff and a clip called 'Checkbox Close' that gave the following:

:Close
^!Inc %Index%
^!If ^%Index% > ^%Count% End
^!Prompt "Closing - " ^%Close^%Index%% "-------------" ^%Discard%
^!Prompt "Index - " ^%Index% " of " ^%Count%
^!Close ^%Close^%Index%% ^%Discard%
^!Goto Close

Specifically, the Close statement, I found, should be:

^!Close "^%CLOSE^%NR%%"

Truthfully, the trial and error that I had to go through to get that working Close statement was well worth it! I learned a lot of troubleshooting tips that will hopefully be helpful later on as I learn more about this crazy scripting language.

I am going to extend the script that I made to also prompt if user wants to also delete the files from disk. I got that part working a few months ago, I just have to incorporate it into my working script.

Again, though, I really appreciate the help that I get from the discussions that take place here.

--Jim

Axel Berger wrote:
James McBride wrote:
Is the ClipWriter program all that useful?
I must admit I never heard of it. But I'd suggest weaning yourself off
I have and I tried it long ago. But is it still around? It was the child of list member RS (Ramon?). Is he still around? IIRC he disappeared from the lists long before I did. I bookmarked the site and the last domain I know of is for sale, http://dataomega.com . And from what I can find through WaybackMachine RS stopped to use the domain in 2016, but then ClipWriter was still around, version 4. And another program he wrote that was kind of outlines galore that I once lusted after.

Maybe someone else knows what has happened?

Lotta

James McBride

Thank you Lotta!
I hadn’t even seen your post when I responded to Thomas 😊 I wonder if we may be able to track down Mr Silvera?? I am certainly gonna try my best!

--Jim

[...]

John Shotsky

I'm self taught, but the ONE rule I ALWAYS use is to copy something that I KNOW works, and only modify it as needed to do a new function. I almost NEVER type out a regex/clip command from scratch.
I also look at the clip libraries that are available online or with NoteTab itself to find something that is close, and copy that out to work with. And, I have a 'playground', where I build things - A clip that just lets you play with something until it works, then copy it to where it is needed. Helps you to home in on just ONE thing at a time.

Regards,
John