Creating a directory/folder with a clip

James McBride

Hello,
I am trying to create (programmatically) a folder. When my original code wasn't working, I just created a small clip to test the basic functionality of it. What I want to do is to create a folder under the NoteTab program folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab 7) called 'Logs' and then folders under that with names corresponding to the Clip Library (as a folder as well) and then <clip name>.LOG as the filename.

This is the test code that I am using:
^!Set %fProgramPath%=^$GetAppPath$
^!Set %fClipName%=^$GetClipName$
^!Set %fLibraryName%=^$GetLibraryName$

^!Prompt ^%fProgramPath%Logs\^%fLibraryName%

^!IfPathExist "^%fProgramPath%Logs"\^%fLibraryName% LogFileExists
^!Prompt "Creating Path " ^%fProgramPath%Logs\^%fLibraryName%
^!MkDir "^%fProgramPath%Logs"\^%fLibraryName%

:LogFileExists
^!Prompt "Path Exists " ^%fProgramPath%Logs\^%fLibraryName%

The funny thing is, the first time I ran it, the folder didn't exist, so it went ahead and created it. Now, in subsequent runnings, it says that the folder exists and does not create it, as the program specifies.

The problem is, it definitely didnt create the folder I wanted it to, and i cannot figure out what folder it actually DID create so that I can at least debug this and also go back and delete the folder that I didnt actually want created.

According to this clip, where is a folder ACTUALLY being created?

Thank you, folks!
--Jim

John Shotsky

You won't be permitted to write into any folder under program files. Windows won't permit it unless/until you 'take ownership' of the folders you want to write to. Or just don't install NoteTab into program files in the first place. I install in C:\Programs\NoteTab Pro. Windows keeps its sticky fingers out of there.
Regards,
John

[...]

Thank you, John! I am going to uninstall and reinstall in an alternate folder to see if that helps. My only problem at the moment is that I cannot uninstall because I do not have the installation file anymore, nor do I remember my information to log in and get it. I registered a ticket with Fookes to see if they can help me on that front. I bought the program SO LONG ago that I do not even remember what email I would have had back then.
If it really comes down to it, I will just buy the program again.....it would be a very worthy re-buy.

I hope that is the answer to this whole thing.....and, being a tech support person, myself, I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT already! Silly mistakes.

--Jim

[...]

Thomas Gruber

Hi Jim,
I think your test script is misleading. I tried it here, and the „MkDir“ statement creates an I/O errror on my Windows 10 machine - indicating that the folder can’t be created (as John states in his response).
The message that the path exists is sent in any case as the script doesn’t end after the MkDir command - it continues to execute the last prompt, even if the „IfPathExist“ condition is not fulfilled. so „PathExists“ is a lie :-)
Kind regards
Thomas

Am 13.02.2021 um 17:09 schrieb James McBride <mr.james.e.mcbride@gmail.com>:

[...]

I modified your test script a little bit, so that it just creates (or better tries to create) a folder „Logs“ inside the Note Tab 7 folder in Program files (x86). This seems to work but the folder is not created under "C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab 7“ but in the user profile folder - here:
C:\users\<userID>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab 7\
I hope this answers your question about where the folder is actually created. The „IfPathExist“ actually checks for this folder and works correctly now too.
Your original script failed for me, as there was no „Logs“ folder under NoteTab 7, so it couldn’t create a subfolder of that. So that was the reason of the I/O error I received.
Here’s the script, with my modifications. It creates a subfolder „Logs“ (fixed name just for testing), and I added the „Goto EXIT“ to avoid getting the „Path Exists“ message even if the folder has just been created.

^!Set %fProgramPath%=^$GetAppPath$
^!Prompt "ProgramPath is " ^%fProgramPath%
^!Set %fClipName%=^$GetClipName$
^!Set %fLibraryName%=^$GetLibraryName$

^!Prompt ^%fProgramPath%Logs

^!IfPathExist "^%fProgramPath%Logs" LogFileExists
^!Prompt "Creating Path " ^%fProgramPath%Logs
^!MkDir "^%fProgramPath%Logs"
^!Goto EXIT
:LogFileExists
^!Prompt "Path already Exists " ^%fProgramPath%Logs

Kind regards
Thomas

Am 13.02.2021 um 17:58 schrieb James McBride <mr.james.e.mcbride@gmail.com>:

[...]

Thank you, Thomas!
I went in and looked, and yep, that folder WAS created where you said! That APPDATA folder is a wild and wonderful place.....so much going on there that I didn’t even know about. I wonder why that VirtualStore branch is created and what it can be used for? I gotta do some looking about that.

I DID manage to find the installer for NoteTab tucked away in a folder from a long time ago......reinstalled NoteTab and that code now works. Now to get to the job of actually creating the code that fills out the LOG files in my program!

Do you know if Fookes is ever going to do anything new/further with NoteTab? There hasn’t been an update for it in many years....not that there really needs to be....it is pretty near perfect as it is.

Thanks for your help!
[...]

^!Prompt "ProgramPath is " ^%fProgramPath% ^!Set %fClipName%=^$GetClipName$ ^!Set %fLibraryName%=^$GetLibraryName$

^!Prompt ^%fProgramPath%Logs

^!IfPathExist "^%fProgramPath%Logs" LogFileExists ^!Prompt "Creating Path " ^%fProgramPath%Logs ^!MkDir "^%fProgramPath%Logs"
[...]

I must admit that this is the first time I ran into the „VirtualStore“ folder - although AppData in general is quite familiar to me as I do IT support for multiple users in my company, and the user profile is something you need to watch in those cases. Many applications use this area to store user specific configuration info and data there, particularly interesting if you have multiple users using the same computer (not simultaneously of course in Windows 10) - that way each user can have their own configuration and their personal data for a program. Better than having it stored in the folder where the program is installed as was frequently done in older versions of Windows.
I interpret the name „VirtualStore“ as meaning that a program is redirected there if it tries to store something in „Program Files“ or „Program Files (x86)“ - Windows then creates a folder with a name identical to the one of the installed program, and then you can create and use subfolders of that.
For a personal PC only used for a single person this is sort of overkill, so installing the program to a personal folder like „C:\Programs\NoteTab 7“ is a simple solution to that. But as soon as multiple users use the same computer, even if it’s just family perhaps, keeping configuration info in user specific folders begins to make sense.

Regarding development of NoteTab (all versions) - the discussion in this forum agrees that there’s no further development of NotaTab.
Kind regards
Thomas

Am 13.02.2021 um 19:29 schrieb James McBride <mr.james.e.mcbride@gmail.com>:

[...]

Phone: +49 4101 512590
mobile: +49 151 2234 2165
eMail: computerhusky@gmail.com

Kees Nuyt

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 11:58:22 -0500, James McBride wrote:

My only problem at the moment is that I cannot
uninstall because I do not have the installation
file anymore
Maybe this works:
In your current installation go to
Menu: Help / Check for Updates ...

A pop-up dialog appears:
Fookes Software News and Updates
- O NoteTab Pro News
+-- O 2014/11/03: Click to download NoteTab 7.2 again ...
+-- O ....

--
Regards,
Kees

James McBride

Good morning, Kees!
Thank you so much for your response.....and that definitely is a working
solution! I eventually found an install file hidden in an old Documents
folder buried deep in my hard drive. I am good to go with that.

Thanks again!
--Jim