Topics

Help with message boxes

John Shotsky

Hi, all,

I think I know the answer to this, but thought I'd throw it out there to see if
anyone knows a workaround.

Here's the setup.

I have users that use my clip library to convert ebooks into MasterCook (a
cookbook manager) format. Basically put an ebook into a Windows application.

The ebooks can be lengthy, and can take quite a bit of time to complete. If
there is a problem, they have to fix something and then repeat.

There is one point in the process where users can be allowed to see what has
been done so far. So, I'm using an Info box to tell them that they can review it
at that point, if they have set a user option to do so.

Here is the problem - I want to let them review what has been done, which can be
(and usually is) thousands of lines, and then choose whether to continue or
start over. The 'question' feature would have to be delayed until AFTER they
review, but I don't see any way to suspend it until they have reviewed what has
been done.

Basically, I would like a way for them to 'shell out' to review, then 'get back
in' to decide whether to continue or stop, fix something in the source, then
start over. I've though about setting a variable to indicate that the review is
active, but I don't see a way to 'get back in' to continue.

Any ideas? If it's not clear, that's because I'm looking at doing something that
isn't supported directly. It needs to be simple enough for my users

If user wants an early review, he sets a user option.

When the time comes, user is told to review the content.

Right now, I have a GoTo Exit after that Info box, which forces them to start
over.

I'm trying to have an option where, if it all looks good, they can just continue
from where it left off for the review. That could also mean they 'tweaked'
something, and want that in the continuation.

Regards,

John

Axel Berger

John Shotsky wrote:
Any ideas?
You could do the review in *another* editor and pause execution until that
is closed. Something along the the lines of:

^!ShellWait pdflatex ^$GetFileName(^%vFIL%)$
^!Delay 5
^!Shell F:\Winutil\acrobat\Reader\AcroRd32.exe ^%vdst%

(Unmodified from a clip doing something entirely different, but shows the
principle. The pdflatex run can take quite some time. The delay is to
ensure all disk caches are flushed.)

That could also mean they 'tweaked'
something, and want that in the continuation.
This could prove to be difficult. It's safer to reload and start over. But
you know your own clips best, perhaps it can be done safely.

--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069

John Shotsky

I discovered a bug in the Info feature. If you include this text in the info
dialog:
Everything should have some sort of tag:^%nl%"<<>>" for ingredients, and"##" for
everything else.
You see:
"<<
" for ingredients, and "##" for everything else.
It 'eats' the >> and adds a CR...
Maybe I have to delimit something, but that was a surprise.
Regards,
John

[...]

Ray Shapp

Hi John,

Please excuse me if this is too simpleminded. Why not set a "bookmark" at
the point where the user stops to review his/her work. When they resume,
your editor would search for the bookmark, remove it, and allow the user to
continue from there.

Ray Shapp
---

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 6:16 PM Axel Berger <Axel@...> wrote:

John Shotsky wrote:
[...]

I've never used a bookmark, but I'll see if I can do something along those lines. More to learn.

John Shotsky wrote:
[...]

A bookmark will return the cursor to the bookmark in the subject text. What I want is to resume execution where it left off. (Code, not text)
I may be able to do it another way - I already run additional programs by shelling out to them, which freezes NoteTab until control is given back. I was really just looking for a way to do it without running a separate program.
Regards,
John

John Shotsky wrote:
I was really just looking for a way to do it without running a separate program.
Help says: "Variables keep their value as long as the Clipbook is kept
open."
You could have a label and ^!Set that label to a variable right at the
break point. With a ^!Continue you could ask whether to just go on or stop
for inspection.
Make the first command in the clip a jump to the variable.

When the clip is invoked it ought to start right at the very place it broke
off before.

^!Goto ^%vLbl%
^Set %vLbl%="break-here
^!Continue Go on without inspection?
:break-here

I fear this can't be very reliable and will result in unintended
consequences but it ought to work in principle.

--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069
 X in | D-50829 Köln-Ossendorf http://berger-odenthal.de
/ \ Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

John Shotsky

I was able to do this by using the shellwait command.
Regards,
John

John Shotsky wrote:
[...]

The problem is that the user can't review the text in the interim. The Notetab
messages prevent access to the document to review it. It can be thousands of
lines of text that they scroll through. With shellwait, I start a different text
viewer that everyone has in Windows, and when they close it they get the
^!Continue and choose whether to stop or continue.

Regards,
John

John Shotsky wrote:
The problem is that the user can't review the text in the interim.
Yes. That's waht I found in my test and that's why I gave the full example.
Open message boxes block everthing. So the answer is to end the clip
completely and restart it at just the right point. My code should do just
that.

--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069
 X in | D-50829 Köln-Ossendorf http://berger-odenthal.de
/ \ Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

flo.gehrke@...

This is a "bug by design" ;-)

In those clips from the Stone Age of NT you will find at notetab.com, many users produce that line break with '>>>'.

It's one of several relicts which were never changed.

Regards,
Flo